Doug Eadie: Your CEO and Executive Team Coach and Advisor
Doug facilitated a really energizing retreat that kicked off our governance improvement effort.
former Executive Director
Kentucky School Boards Association
The "Meeting the Governing Challenge" workshop that Doug presented for AENC member CEOs was a real success, engaging participants and providing them with lots of practical guidance.
Association Executives of North Carolina
Doug has helped...to clarify our organization's strategic directions and its strategic change targets.
Port Authority of Allegheny County Capitol District Transportation Authority
I received more personal thank you notes and emails than any other year when Doug Eadie shared how to be a "board savvy CEO."
Cheryl Ronk, CAE
Michigan Society of Association Executives
Doug's presentation on leading change...excited and inspired the audience.
former President and CEO
American Health Information Management Association
Doug's approach...created a high degree of board ownership of the recommended new committee structure.
James McGuirk, PhD
Executive Director & CEO
Astor Services for Children and Families
Doug was a superb retreat facilitator — energizing and engaging participants while leaving them thoroughly satisfied.
President & CEO
Lutheran Homes of Michigan
Doug's High-Impact Governing Model is a powerful and very practical approach to building board-CEO partnerships...
President & CEO
Evergreen Life Services
Doug's presentation...provided participants with a fresh view of the Board/CEO partnership...
President & CEO
International Economic Development Council
Doug helped us transform a really good Spokane Transit Authority Board into an even stronger governing body.
Chief Executive Officer
Spokane Transit Authority
The workshop Doug provided...was a real winner: substantive, insightful, and entertaining.
Colorado Society of Association Executives
With Doug's assistance, our School Board's Governance Task Force came up with a number of concrete improvements...
Washoe County Public Schools
With Doug's help, we've laid the foundation for a rock-solid Board-CEO partnership at the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Inc.
Virginia A. Jacko
President & CEO
Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Inc.
Doug's work with the NLEP Governance Task Force has yielded a powerful return in terms of high-impact governing.
North Louisiana Economic Partnership
Doug helped me and my Board Officers design and facilitate a really powerful daylong retreat.
American Association of Diabetes Educators
Doug's work... has taken our Board's leadership to the next higher-impact level.
Ronnie L. Bryant, CEcD, FM
President & CEO
The Charlotte Regional Partnership
Over the past quarter-century, Doug Eadie has served as a high-level coach and adviser to the CEOs and Executive Teams of hundreds of nonprofit and public organizations in diverse sectors, including association management, economic and community development, education, health care, public transportation, and social services, among others. Focusing on governance and change leadership, Doug’s engagements are always tailored to the unique needs and circumstances of particular clients.
A Tailored and Flexible Approach
Doug Eadie will work closely with you to fashion a coaching/advising engagement that fits your needs and your specific circumstances, including your budget. An engagement might:
- Involve one-on-one interaction with the CEO exclusively or a mix of CEO-only and CEO plus Executive Team interaction.
- Require only a day of Doug’s time or several weeks over a year or longer. The client determines the boundaries and rhythm that fits.
- Involve a retainer arrangement (for example, two days a month over the course of a year).
- Involve only in-person sessions or teleconferences or a mix of both.
Whichever approach you choose, you can be confident that Doug’s work as your coach and adviser will be meticulously tailored to your unique organization and your particular situation.
Based On Doug's In-Depth Expertise and Wide-Ranging Experience
Doug Eadie has spent 25 years working with the CEOs and Executive Teams of diverse clients in two major areas of nonprofit and public leadership: governance (building boards’ high-impact governing capacity and developing rock-solid board-CEO working relationships) and leading change (identifying strategic issues, fashioning and implementing change initiatives to address the issues). In keeping with the hallowed principle that a consultant should provide advice only in areas where he or she is truly an expert, Doug Eadie’s coaching and advising focus on these two areas.
In the Area of Nonprofit and Public Governance
Doug coaches CEOs on how they can become more “board-savvy” and can go about developing a rock-solid working relationship with the board, covering such topics as:
- Strategies for securing the board’s commitment to systematic development of its governing capacity.
- The CEO’s role as Chief Board Developer.
- CEO communication and interaction with the board.
- The process for board evaluation of CEO performance.
Doug coaches CEOs and Executive Teams on implementing major board governing improvements that have typically been generated by a daylong board-executive retreat or a governance task force involving board members and the CEO. This implementation coaching involves such matters as:
- Coming up with a detailed game plan to launch a new board committee structure, including orienting new committee members on their committee’s role and functions.
- Mapping out the procedures for Executive Team support of newly established committees, dealing with, for example, the development of agendas and documentation for committee meetings.
- Developing plans for assisting the board’s governance committee in recruiting and orienting new board members.
Doug also coaches CEOs and Executive Teams on regularly fine-tuning and updating their board’s role, structure, and governing processes as part of a Continuous Governance Improvement Process, dealing with, for example:
- Strengthening the committee chair’s role.
- Improving committee reporting to the full board.
- Upgrading the process for developing committee agendas.
- Making board-staff communication more effective.
In the Area of Nonprofit and Public Change Leadership
Doug’s coaching in this area usually revolves around applying the powerful Change Investment Portfolio Process that he has developed and thoroughly tested over the past 25 years, including such matters as:
- Working with the CEO one-on-one to develop his or her role as Innovator-in-Chief, including securing the board’s commitment to participate in the Change Investment Portfolio Process, leading the Executive Team’s participation in the Portfolio Process, overcoming the fear of change through motivation and inspiration, and leading the implementation of change initiatives.
- Helping the CEO and Executive Team map out a detailed design for applying the Change Investment Portfolio Process that is tailored to the organization’s unique needs and circumstances (including resource constraints) — for example, that the process will be kicked off by an intensive daylong strategic work session for the purpose of identifying and assessing major issues and exploring possible change initiatives.
- Providing hands-on advice to the CEO and Executive Team during implementation of the detailed Change Investment Portfolio Process design, for example, making sure that adequate information for identifying issues is made available to participants in the strategic work session.
- And periodically advising the CEO and Executive Team on incremental tweaking of the Portfolio Process design to adapt to changing circumstances.